Experts are calling it the worst floods in 20 years. Majority of Australia is currently experiencing severe weather and damaging flooding, and unfortunately there has been no forecast of conditions easing.
We hope all our clients, family and friends are staying safe during these tough times of heavy rain and wild weather.
If you have been affected by the floods, we have below a list of financial assistance options that, may be available to you:
- If you have suffered damage to your home or suffered from serious injuries due to the flooding, under the Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment scheme you can apply for a one-off, non means tested payment of $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per child. You can apply over the phone by calling Services Australia on 180 22 66. The closing date for claims is 20 September 2021.
- If you have lost income as a direct result of the floods you can apply for a Disaster Recovery Allowance, which is a short-term income payment for up to 13 weeks. You can apply over the phone by calling Services Australia on 180 22 66.
- There are also Disaster Relief Loans available from NSW Rural Assistance Authority for primary producers, small businesses, non-profit organisations and sporting and recreation clubs. To apply, there are online forms and manual forms available at https://www.raa.nsw.gov.au/disaster-assistance/disaster-recovery-loans.
- The NSW Rural Assistance Authority also has a natural disaster assistance transport subsidy available to eligible farmers affected by the floods. This subsidy pays for the cost of transporting fodder and/or water to an affected property, transporting stock to sale of slaughter, and transporting stock to/from agistment. To apply, there are online forms and manual forms available at https://www.raa.nsw.gov.au/grants/natural-disaster-transport-subsidy.
- The major banks are also offering support packages to their customers. Further details can be found on the disaster support sections of their websites however they are encouraging you to call them to discuss your options
The main message through all of this is that you are not alone. Reach out if you need any assistance accessing any of the disaster relief packages available. You can call Services Australia on 180 22 66 directly or contact our office.
– Annie Wills
This article is compiled as a helpful guide for your private information and is subject to copyright. We suggest that you do not act solely on the basis of material contained in this article because items are of general nature only and may be liable to misinterpretation in particular circumstances. We recommend that our advice be sought before acting on any of these crucial areas.